33rd STREET BLOG
It's Honfest weekend, so we start with some links about this quirky Bawlmer tradition:
1. Honfest's official website: All the info you need on this weekend's festivities.
2. A history of this past year's "Hon Trademark Controversy" surrounding Denise Whiting, the owner of Cafe Hon, and the city.
3. Info on the O's first round pick this year, Kevin Gausman.
4. Pretty cool that the O's drafted Cal Ripken's son in the 20th round. How old does that make us all feel?
5. The brand new Madden 13 trailer featuring Ray Lewis. It's only a teaser for a video game and it still gives us chills.
6. Hilarious video from Funny or Die - The Wire: The Musical
7. Don't forget, Father's Day is just around the corner. Our Bawlmer Baseball or Football Tees make the perfect gift for that Baltimore sports dad.
Happy Weekend Hon!
Happy Preakness Weekend! With tomorrow being one of Maryland's oldest and fun traditions, we have a bunch of articles about the history of the race at Old Hilltop and the celebration that takes place at one of the region's largest parties. Enjoy these and the other Baltimore sports links scattered through.
2. Here's a look at the Preakness Infield debauchery through the years.
3. Can the Orioles finally stay above .500? If you haven't read this great Grantland article yet, check it out.
4. Who would have guessed before the season that the Battle of the Beltway between the Orioles and Nationals would be one of the most anticipated series to begin interleague play?
6. With today being O's legend Brooks Robinson's 75th birthday, check out this great YouTube video about his grace, integrity, and class on and off the field.
7. The Baltimore Sun turned 175 years old this week. To commemorate this they put together a list of the Top 175 Maryland Athletes in their history. Here are the Top 10.
8. The horse race: A duel between I'll Have Another and Bodemeister.
9. Breaking down the Preakness field.
Old Hilltop (aka Pimlico Race Track). Photo credit - Michael Fowler
On this date in 1996, Orioles catcher Chris Hoiles hit what has been referred to as "the ultimate, ultimate grand slam". Bases loaded, down by 3 runs in the bottom of the ninth inning with 2 outs and a full count (3 balls, 2 strikes). To this day, it is the only time in recorded major league baseball history this has ever happened.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND! Here's this Friday's Weekly Link Lineup:
1. Remember when Matt Wieters was labeled a bust? Here's a great ESPN article about why he's one of the league's best catchers right now.
2. Ken Rosenthal talks about the O's surprising start and how to get fans back in The Yard.
3. Try some of Maryland's best brews at tomorrow's Craft Beer Festival.
4. Details on the Ravens being the first team to get their entire draft class under contract.
5. The Preakness is about a week away. Get all the info for it at the official website here.